Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wall Flower



Blank Walls. They bother me. My apartment is covered with them. So a few weeks ago, right after I promised myself a REAL break from dating, I realized that I had tons of time to fill up these vacant walls.


The first order of business was the kitchen wall. As you can see its huge and really naked. At first I thought I would buy one of those decal designs off Esty but soon realized they were costly and a waste of money; knowing that I will eventually move out. 


So I decided to make my own decal. My cost: ~ $9 ( Buttons, Butterflies, Felt)


SUPPLIES:
- 'Wood' contact paper from Hardware store (Mine is from Home Depot which I had from a previous project)
- 8"x 5" sheets of Tissue Paper (everyone has this stuff lying around)
- Craft Gems (I used buttons because I couldn't find the colors I liked at Jo-anns)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Felt sheets in different shades of green
- Kitty play ball (or any other ball roughly the size of a golf ball
- Butterflies (these were half off at Michael's)


INSTRUCTION


Trunk & Branches:
- Using several different cut outs, I created my tree with a cut and paste method. 
- First I drew and cut out the basic shape of my trunk then cut out other pieces to fill in for the branches
NOTE: make sure to clean the surface of the wall before applying the paper so it sticks better.


Flowers:
-The majority of my time was spent on making these. I found the idea here.
-The only difference was that I used hot glue to bind the different petals together and trimmed the end so they wouldn't stick out too far from the wall. (Be Careful with the glue gun...my poor fingers)












Leaves: 
- I just cut out shapes from a pattern I drew on a postcard.

Gluing the Butterflies, Leaves & Flowers:
- I am VERY fortunate that the walls are painted with a shiny paint. I just hot glued the pieces onto the wall. I'm pretty sure you can do it with a matted surface (don't hold me to this), the only difference would be the removal.
- To remove any of these pieces off the wall, it is best to grab a hair dryer and apply heat to the surface, this way you don't take a piece of the wall with you.




Well, I hope you found this interesting. Let me know if you try this out. I would LOVE to see your creations. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Polish Brass Jewelry

So I think its been close to a year since I've written an entry for this blog. So here you go. This is the easiest thing to do and onl...