Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pi Day: Blackberry Pie

What is Pi Day? It is the day that nerds all around celebrate the significance of this mathematical constant. If you think about it, if it had not been discovered many things in modern society would be greatly different.

Anyways, to commemorate today, I baked a pie...the only downfall is I began my detox diet this week. (my nice jeans are not fitting so well - need to cleanse my body and 'reboot' it :p ) This is my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!

INGREDIENTS

Crust:
2 1/2 C All-purpose Flour
1 C (2 sticks) butter cut into cubes
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
7 tbsp Water
1 egg beaten - used for glaze

Filling:
2 containers of washed Blackberries
1/2 C Sugar
6 tbsp All-purpose Flour
2 tbsp Lemon Juice (or half a lemon)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Crust:
- In a large bowl add flour, salt and sugar together.
- Next add the butter. Knead the butter into the mixture with your hands (you can use a food processor but that takes the fun away)
- Add the water 1 tbsp at a time as you continue to knead it through the mixture.
- Once done put it into the refrigerator to chill  ( don't want the dough to be too soft while you wait for the filling)

Filling:
- Combine all ingredients and lightly shift through the fruit so all become coated
- let sit at room temperature for 30 min - the juices from the fruit will come out.

Putting it all together:
- Set Oven for 350 Degrees
- Take out dough and let it sit for a few minutes before taking the rolling pin to it (unless you've got some amazing arm power)
- To cut out the base of the pie, I turned the pie glass (any baking container works - I just have the glass one) upside down and trace the bowl with an extra inch around, so it sits well in the glass.
- Once you place the dough in the container and GENTLY place the berries in.
- Using the extra dough cut out stripes to weave the pieces on top
- Gently brush with egg mixture and cook for 45-60 min.







No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Polish Brass Jewelry

So I think its been close to a year since I've written an entry for this blog. So here you go. This is the easiest thing to do and onl...