Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Pi Day: Blackberry Pie
Anyways, to commemorate today, I baked a pie...the only downfall is I began my detox diet this week. (my nice jeans are not fitting so well - need to cleanse my body and 'reboot' it :p ) This is my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!
2 1/2 C All-purpose Flour
1 C (2 sticks) butter cut into cubes
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
7 tbsp Water
1 egg beaten - used for glaze
2 containers of washed Blackberries
1/2 C Sugar
6 tbsp All-purpose Flour
2 tbsp Lemon Juice (or half a lemon)
- In a large bowl add flour, salt and sugar together.
- Next add the butter. Knead the butter into the mixture with your hands (you can use a food processor but that takes the fun away)
- Add the water 1 tbsp at a time as you continue to knead it through the mixture.
- Once done put it into the refrigerator to chill ( don't want the dough to be too soft while you wait for the filling)
- Combine all ingredients and lightly shift through the fruit so all become coated
- let sit at room temperature for 30 min - the juices from the fruit will come out.
Putting it all together:
- Set Oven for 350 Degrees
- Take out dough and let it sit for a few minutes before taking the rolling pin to it (unless you've got some amazing arm power)
- To cut out the base of the pie, I turned the pie glass (any baking container works - I just have the glass one) upside down and trace the bowl with an extra inch around, so it sits well in the glass.
- Once you place the dough in the container and GENTLY place the berries in.
- Using the extra dough cut out stripes to weave the pieces on top
- Gently brush with egg mixture and cook for 45-60 min.
So I think its been close to a year since I've written an entry for this blog. So here you go. This is the easiest thing to do and onl...
As you may know, I have an insane obsession with shoes but this does not always mean I take care of them well. An example would be my g...
If you're like me, you have sensitive combination skin that breaks out at the slightest signs of stress. Needless to say, my face i...
I've been eating this soup my entire life and didn't even know that it was a Japanese pumpkin until a few months ago. One warning ...