Sunday, April 29, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake


YAY! I finally made my first rose cake! Granted its just making swirls with a pipette tip (Sorry, the cake is a bit melted...it was by far the hottest week in LA when I was making this). So in this blog, I accomplished 3 things off my list: 1) making a lemon poppy seed cake (even though I cheated with the cake mix - also, lemon poppy seed cake is one of my sissy's favorite), 2) using tin cans as cake molds & 3) practicing on my cake decorating.
THINGS YOU NEED:
Lemon Cake Mix - (follow instructions on the back)
3 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
Chopped Lemon Zest from one lemon
favorite jam fillings
Pearl Sprinkles
Butter or oil
Flour
bamboo skewer stick
Empty Tin Cans 
1 Can of Frosting
Cake Pipette Decor kit - you can get a cheap one from Ikea...I was fortunate enough that my amazing friend, Geneva, bought it for me on one of our shopping adventures <3
INSTRUCTIONS:
1) After making the cake mix accordingly add the lemon zest and poppy seed into the mix
2) Lightly butter/ oil & flour the inner surface of the tin can
3)Fill the tin cans a bit less than 3/4 of the way (I made the mistake and filled it 3/4 of the way and got huge muffin tops)
4) Bake for about 30 min at 350 degrees or until your skewer stick runs clean when poked
5) Let the cake cool (took 20 mins for the tin to cool down)
6) Level the cake - cut the tops so its even
7) Cut layers and add your favorite fillings (I used a homemade lavender syrup - recipe in a future blog)
8) Do a light frosting over the whole cake (its like your primmer when painting because it evens out your surface)
9) When pipping the rose on the cake - don't think! Just go with the flow....I promise you it will come out better
After all of this: I had 3 cakes sitting around for about two weeks...I need local food eatters <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Polish Brass Jewelry

So I think its been close to a year since I've written an entry for this blog. So here you go. This is the easiest thing to do and onl...